THE SEARCH FOR A NEW NULLA RATIONE (Mode of Transportation)
We have searched high and low for a solution to our latest family dilemma. Now that we are expanding to three children, how in the world do we get all of those car seats comfortably into a vehicle that is NOT a minivan? Can we get enough storage capacity to take bags and our dog on long trips a few times a year? And it still not be a minivan?
We concentrated on all the midsize and crossover vehicles. Then we further focused on fuel economy, storage size behind the second and third rows, third row seat access, hip room and the ability to fit three seats.
Our final list of candidates were the Infiniti QX60, Dodge Durango, Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and the Acura MDX. The Honda Odyssey was added under a time of extreme duress for my wife.
We test drove four cars and our direction has changed already. Come along as we realize the unfortunate truth for a family of five.
Other parts of the series can be found here:
- Episode 2: The Pizzazz-less Cockpit
- Episode 3: Unfortunately Going Where Plenty Have Begrudgingly Gone Before
- Episode 4: The Path to Nowhere and An Unexpected Player
- Episode 5: There Ain’t No Room for Boring, But There Can Be Only One (Car Seat In the Back)
- Episode 6: Hitting The Reset Button
- Episode 7: How Far Would You Go For A Bench Seat?
- Episode 8: Yukon Ho!